Back to Professional Development Blog

Struggling to Engage Your Audience? Be Inclusive

Instructor Steven Cohen offers a quick tip for improving your public speaking.

5/31/2016 | Communication | 2 minute read

Picture of Steven D. Cohen
Written By:
Steven D. Cohen

One of the easiest ways to bond with your audience is to use inclusive pronouns like we, our, and us—instead of you and your.

I often use inclusive language when telling my students about upcoming speech assignments. When students express concern about delivering a speech, I say: “I know speaking in public can be nerve-racking, but we’re all in this together. We’ve prepared for this moment for the past few weeks, so I know we have what it takes to deliver amazing speeches.”

Although I personally may not deliver a speech, I want my students to know that I am on their side. Using inclusive language helps me demonstrate that I care about my students and understand what they are facing.

There is a big difference between saying, “You must solve this problem” and “We must solve this problem.” The first statement makes the audience responsible for solving the problem. The second implies that the speaker will work with the audience to solve the problem.

Don’t tell your listeners what they should do. Instead, use inclusive language to explain what you all can accomplish together.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

This tip is an excerpt from Cohen’s article Make Your Speech All about the Audience.

Stay Up to Date with Harvard Professional Development

Subscribe to our blog and we'll alert you when we have a new post about one of our business topics from leadership to innovation.

You May Also Like